Mandatory Downspout Disconnection
Financial Assistance Information
Toronto's Municipal Code, Chapter 681, Sewers, requires downspouts to be disconnected from the sewer system unless an exemption has been granted. All property owners are responsible for complying with the bylaw requirements.
.The Mandatory Downspout Disconnection Financial Assistance program offers a reimbursement of the costs of labour and materials for performing downspout disconnection work, up to a maximum of $500, if you are an eligible low-income senior or a low-income person with a disability.
Who is eligible?
To qualify for the Mandatory Downspout Disconnection Financial Assistance program, you must:
- Own a residential property within the City of Toronto; and
- Have a combined household income of $50,000 or less; and
- Be 65 years of age or older or be 60-64 years of age and be receiving a Guaranteed Income Supplement under
the Old Age Security Act; if widowed, be receiving the Spouse's Allowance under the Old Age Security Act; or be
50 years of age or older and be receiving either a pension or a pension annuity resulting from a pension plan
under the Income Tax Act (Canada) OR
- Be a person with a disability and be receiving disability benefits
Please refer to the City's Eligibility Criteria - Mandatory Downspout Disconnection Financial Assistance Program for Low-Income Seniors and Low-Income Disabled Persons for further eligibility details.
What documents are required?
A completed and signed application with the following documents attached to be submitted within one (1) year after the completion of the disconnection work.
- Dated and unaltered original invoice(s) or receipt(s) fully itemizing the materials and work supplied and performed in respect to the disconnection and the cost of same.
- Before and after photographs of the disconnected downspout(s).
- Copies of the most recent Income Tax Notice of Assessment(s) from Canada Revenue agency for all persons occupying the property for which the application for financial assistance is made.
In addition to the above:
- A copy of your Old Age Security T4A (if applicable), Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) (if applicable) and/or Spousal Allowance T4A (if applicable)
- Proof of receipt of a registered pension or registered annuity under the Income Tax Act (Canada) (if applicable)(if you are 50 years of age or older)
Persons with a Disability
In addition to the above:
- A copy of disability benefit income from one or more of the following:
- Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)
- Canada Pension Plan
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)
- Employment Insurance Sickness Benefit
- Motor Vehicle Accident Insurance
- Private Disability Insurance
- Employer Disability Insurance
- Disability programs provided by professional associations Applicants are advised to block out the Social Insurance Number of all documents submitted.
For more information on the Mandatory Downspout Disconnection Program, contact 311 or visit toronto.ca/water/downspout
Submit your completed application to:
City of Toronto
Mandatory Downspout Disconnection Program
PO Box 15266
STN BRM B
Toronto ON M7Y 2W1