In-person services at the Property Tax Inquiry and Payment Counters have resumed. Our customer service representatives are available Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

We are currently receiving a high volume of inquiries related to property tax and utilities (water/sewer and solid waste billings). For your convenience, a list of the most frequently asked questions with their answers is below.

Introducing MyToronto Pay –  a new way to manage and pay your bills. Payments can now be made using your debit or credit card (convenience fees will apply), or the Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) option (no fees).

MyToronto Pay

A new way to manage and pay your property taxes and utility bills.

Pay using MyToronto Pay

Property Tax Lookup

View your account details and change your mailing address.

Access Account

Utility Account Lookup

View your utility account details.

Access Account

If you received a September 15, 2022 Property Tax Account Statement and it does not reflect any recent tax payment you may have made, log into the Property Tax Lookup to access your current tax account balance.

If the Property Tax Lookup reflects an outstanding balance, you can pay your property tax bill or find out more if a property tax payment is missing. Contact a customer service representative with any other questions concerning the statement you received.

Payment Options

Learn all the ways to pay your property tax or utility bill. To avoid late penalties and interest, please pay well before the due date, processing times for your payment can vary.

Making payments

  • You will need your 21 digit assessment roll number from your tax bill or property tax account statement.

  • You will need your 20 digit account and client number from your utility bill.

For cheque payments, please remember to write your property tax roll number (21 digits) and/or your utility bill account number (20 digits) on the cheque.

Inquiry and Payment Counters and Drop Box Services

Property Tax, Utility and Parking Violation Inquiry & Payment Counters are open. Payment counters at Metro Hall remain closed.

Enrol in the City’s new paperless eBilling service and start receiving your property tax and utility bills digitally in January 2023. Learn more.

Canada Post is retiring epost™ electronic billing services. The last epost bill will be sent in September, and
account access will end in December 2022.

A new ebilling service will be available soon. Learn more.

Monthly Utility Billing Program

Monthly utility billing customers (enrolled in epost, pre-authorized payments and have an Automatic
Meter Reader-AMR) will temporarily receive paper bills. Participants must meet all program requirements and subscribe to new e-billing once it becomes available.

Update Mailing Address

If the mailing address on your current utility bill is not up-to-date, go to the Property Tax Lookup to update.

Property Tax Relief Programs

Check on the status of your Property Tax relief programs application, sign in the Property Tax Lookup, go to “Summary of Rebates” tab to view the activity on your application.

Status Action
Open Application received and a file has been opened for review by staff.
Approved Application has been reviewed and approved.
Refused The applicant does not meet the programs eligibility criteria and will receive a letter declining their application.
Incomplete Application has been reviewed, but additional information is required, staff will contact the applicant.
Posted Tax rebate has been calculated and adjustment posted to account.

  • If balance owning on account, the credit is applied and a property tax account statement with new account balance owning is mailed.
  • If account is paid in full, allow up to 120 days for refund cheque to be mailed.

Apply for the Property Tax, Water & Solid Waste Relief Program online. It is secure, and the most effective way to be approved. Learn more about relief program eligibility.

Deadline to apply for 2022 tax year is October 31, 2022.

Water and Solid Waste Relief Programs

Once your application is approved, the water rebate will be posted as a lump sum credit on the first utility bill in the following year, check under “Account Adjustments” on your first utility bill issued in 2023. Solid waste rebates will be applied and prorated on each utility bill issued next year.

If you would like to use the Property Tax and Utility Account Lookup tools your customer/client number is required.

Property Tax

Your customer number is located on the upper portion of your property tax bill, directly below the legal description.

Image of Property Tax Bill
Image of Property Tax Bill

Utility Bill

Your client number is located on the upper portion of your utility bill, directly below the account number.

Image of Utility Bill
Image of Utility Bill

Try these the following tips to help troubleshoot any difficulty you may have signing into the Property Tax and/or Utility Account Lookup:

  • If the required information you have entered is confirmed with green checkmarks, but you are still not able to sign in, double-check to ensure you have entered your information correctly
    • While green checkmarks confirm that what you entered is approved according to the correct format, there may still be an error in the information you have entered – for example, while you may have entered the correct number of digits for the assessment roll number, you may have still entered an incorrect assessment roll number that does not match your property tax account
  • If you receive an error message when signing in, double-check to ensure you have entered your information correctly
  • If the mailing address to the property tax account is outside of Canada, you must enter the property location’s postal code

Note: your Customer Number cannot be used to make payments – use your Assessment Roll Number and/or Utility Account Number for payment purposes

Contact a Customer Service Representative to help troubleshoot any problems you may be experiencing with the Property Tax and Utility Account Lookup tools.

Change your address through the Property Tax Lookup. Mailing address change requests made online are processed within approximately 48 hours.

Alternatively, refer to Mailing Address Change for other ways to submit your request.

If you have recently sold a property or moved and require the City to close your utility bill account be sure to contact us to request a final meter read.

Learn more about Buying, Selling or Moving.

Log on to view your water use anytime, including total and average water use by day, week, month or year in an easy-to-read graph or chart format.


Toronto’s waste collection program is an all-or-nothing service. If your property opts out of City garbage collection, it will not be eligible for City collection of any other materials including Blue Bin recycling, Green Bin organics, Household Hazardous Waste, electronics and oversized items (e.g. appliances, furniture), all of which are collected for free from buildings receiving City collection. Learn more about opting in or out of City collection services.

In 2021, as part of the City’s COVID-19 response, solid waste and water rate increases were lowered (from 2.7 and 3 per cent to 1.5 per cent). For 2022, rate increases have returned to the scheduled 3 per cent increase.

Water and solid waste services are rate supported – you pay for the services and water used.

  • Water and solid waste rates increase by 3 per cent –  effective January 1.
  • Rebates for all garbage bins (including small bins) have been eliminated as of the end of 2020.
  • Oversized items collection fee is $20.34 and charged annually.
  • Water being consumed may have increased due to working or attending school from home.
  • Your property may have experienced a water leak.

Ways to Save

Contact a customer service representative if you still require assistance.

Estimated water charges on utility bills are occasionally issued to properties. To avoid loss of discount and late payment fees, property owners should make payment by the due date. Once an actual meter read is obtained, any billing discrepancies will be adjusted on future bills. Learn more.

In Toronto, it is mandatory for all property owners to have a water meter installed on any pipe that delivers water into the building. Refer to Water Meters.

Requests for refund or transfer of a credit balance due to an overpayment will require proof of payment. Fees may apply.

Refer to Request a Refund or Transfer for more information.

Beginning in 2023, homeowners will be required to submit a declaration by February 2nd each year to determine if their property is subject to the tax.

The tax is based on the property’s occupancy status from the year prior, meaning if the home is vacant in 2022, the tax will become payable in 2023, at one per cent of the home’s current value assessment. Learn more.