Commercial Off-Street Boulevard Parking
An off-street parking permit is required if commercial property owners wish to rent part of the City boulevard to supplement space on private property for parking.
- Applicant must be the owner of the property.
- Where the owner does not wish to make the application for commercial boulevard parking, the ground floor occupant may apply and provide a letter signed by the owner indicating that the owner does not object to installing boulevard parking.
- The owner recognizes that they (the owners) are responsible for the cost of complying with the boulevard parking agreement in the event of default on the part of the applicant.
- Minimum size of parking stall of 2.2 m in width and 5.3 m in length.
- Minimum set back of 0.9 m from the sidewalk must be provided for a parallel parking configuration, and not less than 0.3 m from any sidewalk for an angled or perpendicular parking configuration.
- Boulevard parking stalls will be designed and located in compliance with any existing zoning by-laws and regulations.
- The parking stall shall not take individual vehicle access to a major and minor arterial street and wherever practical, shall be located parallel to the road.
- Where a poll is requested by the local Ward Councillor, the results must be positive and the response rate of at least 25%.
- The property is not within an area that was polled within the last 2 years where the result was negative.
- Standard clearances from all trees (depending on size) must be provided as per the applicable bylaw and policy.
- Vehicles parking on parking area must have a valid licence plate.
- Parking area is to be paved to the satisfaction of the General Manager, Transportation Services.
- Parking cannot be on outer boulevard (i.e. any portion of the street between the curb and sidewalk).
- Owner/Applicant must obtain a permit prior to commencing any work within the City boulevard.
- Owner/Applicant must pay for the installation of ramping to provide access to the parking area.
- Owner/Applicant must sign a boulevard parking agreement and comply with terms and conditions.
- The boulevard parking agreement and licences are not transferable to a new owner or occupant.
The preservation and planting of street trees is crucial to the maintenance of healthy residential streetscapes and can play an important role in minimizing the effect of front yard, driveway widening and boulevard parking. To provide sufficient space for tree growth and planting, it is necessary to limit the amount of paving and impervious material such as concrete or interlocking brick used in front yards and on City boulevards.
Increased use of pervious materials will provide greater water infiltration to support trees and vegetation, in addition to diverting rainflow from the sewer system.
It is also important to consolidate tree planting areas to create places for trees to grow to maturity.
Paving in proximity to City trees must comply with the following specifications contained in Municipal Code Chapter 813 and the City’s Specifications for Construction Near Trees:
|Trunk Diameter (DBH) *||Minimum Protection Distance Required **|
|< 10 cm||1.2 m|
|10 – 29 cm||1.8 m|
|30 – 40 cm||2.4 m|
|41 – 50 cm||3.0 m|
|51 – 60 cm||3.6 m|
|61 -70 cm||4.2 m|
|71 – 80 cm||4.8 m|
|81 – 90 cm||5.4 m|
|91 – 100 cm||6.0 m|
|< 100 cm||6 cm protection for each 1 cm diameter|
* Diameter at breast height (DBH) measurement of tree trunk taken at 1.4 m above ground.
** Tree Protection Zone distances are to be measured from the outside edge of the tree base.
1. An application for Commercial Boulevard Parking must be completed and submitted along with payment to:
Right of Way Management
East York Civic Centre
850 Coxwell Ave.
Toronto, ON M4C 5R1
2. Sketch with relevant dimensions showing the parking proposal.
3. For proposals that require a grade change greater than 0.6 m, detailed landscape plans may be required.
|Application Fee||$389.48 + HST|
|Appeal Fee||$807.72 + HST|
|Permit for Construction of Parking Pad||$157.96 (No HST)|
|Annual Fee||Area 1**: $535.40 + HST
Area 2**: $406.16 + HST
|Cost of Ramp Installation:||Varies based on size of ramp and number of sidewalk bays affected.|
*All fees are subject to an annual inflationary increase based on the City’s User Fee Policy and change without prior notice.
**Area 1: Bounded on the east by the east side of Jarvis Street, on the north by the north side of Bloor Street East and West, on the west by the west side of University Avenue and on the south the lake.
**Area 2: Remainder of the City.
- An Appeal Application is to be submitted along with payment of the non-refundable appeal fee.
- A letter outlining the reason for the appeal is to be submitted by the applicant to the General Manager, Transportation Services along with the application for the appeal.
- The General Manager, Transportation Services reports to the appropriate Community Council. The General Manager, Transportation Services will conduct a poll, if requested by the local Ward Councillor, and include the results of the poll in the report.
- Residents within the polling area will be notified of the hearing date.
Renewal Notices for the 2019 Street Allowance Rental fee will be mailed out mid-March, at which time the On-line Payment Option will be available.
- Online at www.toronto.ca/streetallowancerental
- Payable to payee “TORONTO STREET ALLOWANCE” at major Chartered Banks in Canada or through online banking
- Pay in person with CHEQUE, DEBIT AND CREDIT:
- Policy, Planning, Finance & Administration, Metro Hall, 55 John St, 19th Floor, Toronto, ON M5V 3C6, Monday-Friday from 8:00a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Off Street Parking office, East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell Avenue, 2nd Floor, Toronto, ON M4C 5R1, Monday-Friday from 8:00a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Please contact 416-392-7768 to make appointments outside of regular working hours between 7:30 – 8:00 a.m. and after 4:00 – 4:30 p.m.
- By cheque payable to Treasurer, City of Toronto
(Write your account number and invoice number on the front of the cheque)
Policy, Planning, Finance & Administration
Metro Hall, 19th Floor, 55 John Street
Toronto, Ontario M5V 3C6
Call 311 or 416-392-7768 for Off Street Parking invoices inquiries
Call 416-397-7788, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m.to 4:30 p.m. or email email@example.com
If you are moving:
Kindly notify us in writing:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Right of Way Management, Off Street Parking
850 Coxwell Avenue
Toronto, ON M4C 5R1
There will be a charge of $40.00 for each dishonoured cheque. Overdue accounts are subject to a late payment charge of 1.25% per month (15.00% per annum). Non-payment of fees will result in termination of the parking licence and charges being added to the tax roll of the property under the authority of the Municipal Code Chapter 441, Fees and Charges.
Please note clearing snow or ice from any licensed parking area and/or private property onto public sidewalks or roadways is not permitted.