The City Clerk’s Office is committed to satisfying expectations in all our services. Submitted complaints are reviewed promptly and we make every effort to resolve them as quickly as possible. We monitor complaints and use them to assess and improve quality of service.

How to Submit a Complaint

Complaints may be made verbally or in writing.

We recommend you first speak directly with the service area where you have an issue, in person or by telephone. Most complaints are received this way and resolved promptly. If you are not satisfied with how your verbal complaint is handled you can submit a written complaint.

If you wish to submit a written complaint, you can use our complaint form to formally record and submit a complaint about service, actions, or lack of action. You may submit an anonymous complaint if you do not wish to be contacted. Anonymous complaints are still reviewed and corrective measures are taken as necessary.

If someone else is acting on your behalf regarding a complaint, a representative consent form should also be submitted.

What Happens with Your Written Complaint

All written complaints are reviewed by City Clerk’s Office management staff. The information is treated as confidential to protect your privacy; however, you should be aware that in investigating a complaint, the circumstances may indirectly identify you (even if submitted anonymously).

If you provide contact information, we will inform you of any actions resulting from your complaint. If you are not satisfied with the outcome, we will advise you of options to escalate the complaint. Full details are provided in our complaints procedure.

Please note: There are separate rights of appeal or complaint processes for certain services provided by the City Clerk’s Office. We will advise you if a specific complaint procedure applies.

Forms & Links

  • Complaint form and instructionsThe personal information you choose to provide on this form is collected under the authority of the City of Toronto Act, 2006. The information you provide will be used to investigate the complaint and may be used for contact purposes. Questions about this collection can be directed to the City Clerks Office c/o Management Consultant, City Hall, 13th Floor West, 100 Queen Street W., Toronto, ON, M5H 2N2, ph 416-392-8107.
  • Complaint representative form
  • Complaint policy
  • Complaint procedure