Apply for a Compliance Audit
An eligible elector who believes that a candidate or registered third party advertiser has contravened the election campaign finance rules under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 may apply for a compliance audit of their campaign finances.
To apply for a compliance audit of a councillor candidate, mayoral candidate, or registered third party advertiser*:
- Complete the Compliance Audit Application form
- Submit the form and any supporting documents by the deadline (below):
- in person or by mail to: Election Services, 100 Queen Street W, 1st floor N, Toronto, ON M5H 2N2,
- or email to email@example.com
The City Clerk must receive the compliance audit application by the following dates:
- For the initial financial filing deadline of March 29, 2019, the City Clerk must receive the compliance audit application form by June 27, 2019.
- For financial statements filed during the 30-day grace period or a court-ordered extension, the City Clerk must receive the compliance audit application within 90 days of the extension filing date.
The Compliance Audit Committee will consider the application and, if granted, will appoint an auditor to audit the campaign finances. The Committee will consider the audit results and decide whether to commence legal action.
Please note that in addition to the compliance audit process, any person may pursue their own legal action in relation to the election. A prosecution related to the 2018 municipal election must be commenced on or before November 14, 2022.
For more information, please see:
- Compliance Audit Committee page, and the
- Compliance Audit Committee 2018-2022 agendas and minutes page.
Information for Candidates and Third Party Advertisers
If a candidate or registered third party advertiser is involved in a compliance audit, they may have the option to have their campaign surplus returned to them and/or to reopen their campaign so that they can raise money to cover expenses related to the audit.
For information, please see:
- Compliance Audit Information and Reopening of a Campaign for Candidates and Registered Third Party Advertisers
*The City Clerk does not accept compliance audit applications for school board trustee candidates; these must be submitted to the relevant school board: