All garbage must be placed in City-issued garbage bins for pick up, or affixed with a City authorized overflow garbage tag. Garbage tags are only required on overflow garbage bags (not recycling).
Excess garbage bag overflow
Yellow garbage tags are currently available at Canadian Tire Stores and Shoppers Drug Mart stores across the City of Toronto or online. For the most current Garbage Bin Sizes & Fees, please visit the City of Toronto website. Residents may also bring their garbage to a Drop-Off Depot and pay a fee for disposal. Refer to your Solid Waste Collection Calendar for Depots and times for public access.
- City of Toronto Yellow Garbage Tags may be used for all property types and have no expiry date.
- There are no additional charges or taxes on the yellow garbage tag fee.
- To ensure the tag sticks to the bag and is visible to the collection crews, we recommend the tag be wrapped around the knot or gathered at the top of the bag and stuck to itself.
Instructions for excess (overflow) garbage:
- Place your overflow garbage bags beside your garbage bin.
- Please do not place your overflow garbage bags in your emptied bin. Overflow garbage bags must be visible to the second truck where applicable.
- District 4 / Scarborough - there is no second truck, overflow bags must be visible and will be reloaded by the driver
- Garbage bag tags are to be used for curbside pick-up only at residential and non-residential locations.
- Excess garbage that does not fit in your bin (overflow) may be placed out beside your garbage bin in a black garbage bag affixed with City issued yellow tag purchased at Canadian Tire or Shoppers Drug Mart stores or online.
- All garbage bags with yellow tags correctly set out will be collected, there is no maximum amount
- Refunds for purchased tags: return to a Toronto Canadian Tire store or Shoppers Drug Mart store, whole package must be returned with receipt of purchase
Garbage bags that are not affixed with a valid City issued yellow tag will not be collected. The maximum weight of garbage bags is 20 kg (44 lbs), measuring approximately 66 centimetres by 90 centimetres & they must be able to fit inside the bin to be re-loaded.