Excess Garbage, Recycling & Organics
The City will pick up additional garbage, recycling and organic waste provided you follow a few simple steps.
- Excess garbage beyond what fits in your bin with the lid closed, must be bagged, tagged and set out beside your Garbage Bin for collection.
- Garbage Tags are available for purchase online and at Toronto Shoppers Drug Mart and Canadian Tire locations.
- Use a regular garbage bag for excess garbage and ensure that the Garbage Tag is attached to the bag and is clearly visible (attach it like you would a luggage tag).
- Note: Garbage bag should not exceed 20 kg (44 lbs)
- Excess garbage and oversized items are different. The City will pick up oversized items (appliances, furniture, carpets, etc.) on your garbage collection day.
- Excess recycling should be put in a large clear bag and placed beside the Blue Bin. Ensure bags can fit back into the recycling bin and are placed 0.5 metres apart.
- Extra cardboard should be cut into small pieces, flattened and bundled with string or twine. Ensure pieces can fit back into the recycling bin.
- If you frequently have overflow recycling, please up-size your Recycling Bin.
- Excess organics are less of an issue with the new Green Bin as it can hold almost 100 litres of material (the previous bin had a capacity of 46.5 litres).
- If you find you have organics beyond what can fit in your bin, you can request an additional bin.