A Building Permit for an interior alteration to a small residential building, such as a detached house, semi-detached house or townhouse.
All drawings to be done on standardized sized sheets, drawn to scale, fully dimensioned, signed and dated.
If drawings were prepared by a qualified designer (as defined under Div. C, Part 3, Section 3.2 of the Ontario Building Code), drawings must include the designer’s name, registration number, qualification identification number, signature, and stamp/statement that the person has reviewed and taken responsibility for the design activities.
All drawings, reports, and forms, including the completed Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish, must be provided in a PDF format on a re-writable DVD, a USB drive or submitted by email.
- Fully dimensioned, for each level showing existing and proposed uses of all spaces, including location of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors and all plumbing fixtures.
- Provide existing/proposed construction with foundation and exterior wall information, showing interior partitions and structural framing above.
- Cross section(s) to show existing/proposed building construction and specifications of all floor, wall and roof assemblies.
- Provide footing and foundation wall details including height of exterior grade above basement floor.
- Show floor to floor, floor to ceiling and overall building heights.
- Detail stairs, landings, guards and handrails.
Construction Details and Notes
- Building materials and specifications of all wall, floor and roof assemblies with typical wall section and typical roof detail.
- Provide guard details including connection detail.
Site Plan required for Second Suites or New Openings
Where the proposed alterations include a new second suite, or where new openings are proposed, a site plan is required showing:
- Survey or site plan showing property lines, lot area, right-of-way or easements (referenced to a current survey)
- Location of existing/proposed buildings with overall dimensions and include setback dimensions to property lines and adjacent buildings.
- Summary of permitted and proposed zoning provisions to include lot area, building area (GFA), coverage, and grade elevations to confirm height.
- Indicate dimensioned parking areas, driveways, hard & soft landscape treatments, accessory structures (sheds, decks, detached garages, etc).
Mechanical (HVAC) Permit
If your project includes an HVAC elements please review the Residential Mechanical (HVAC) Guide for additional requirement
Plumbing and Drain Permits
If your project includes a plumbing or drain and water-service elements, please submit a Plumbing Data Sheet (below) with your Building Permit application. For one- and two-unit houses, no plans are required unless the project includes a reverse-sloping driveway. If the project includes a reverse-sloped driveway, then drawings must be submitted showing details of the reverse-sloped driveway and drain plan. All other residential plumbing and drain permit applications must include drawings showing the layout of plumbing and related fixtures on each floor level.
Building permit application form required for all submissions
Required for all designers, except Engineers and Architects when applying for any Construction Permit. Property Owners, if exempted, from Qualification / Certification, they must fill-in the form to specify the reason for exemption.
Please note: not all projects are eligible for email submission. Review the list of eligible applications and detailed email submission process.
To submit an application by email please use the ‘Email’ button on top of the Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish.
Customers also have the option to attend ANY Toronto Building Customer Service counter to make an application for any of the services listed above. Customers will be asked to present a re-writable DVD or USB drive containing all the necessary materials for the eligible service requests. No paper copies will be required.
|Interior alterations (partitions, finishings, etc.)||Fee (per m², unless otherwise stated)
Effective Jan. 1, 2018
|Group C, E and F||$4.93|
The permit fees shown above are shown as as Service Index per square metre of proposed work, unless otherwise specified. For full details of permit fee calculation and a complete list of fee rates, please see the Building Permit Fees page.
Protect Your Privacy
Please do not include any personal information on your Building Plans (e.g., the homeowner’s name or phone number). Building Plans submitted for Permit are subject to disclosure in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).