A building permit for a new dwelling, such as a detached house, semi-detached house or row house.
All drawings to be drawn on standardized sized sheets, drawn to scale, fully dimensioned, signed and dated.
If drawings were prepared by a qualified designer (as defined under Div. C, Part 3, Section 3.2 of the Ontario Building Code), drawings must include the designer’s name, registration number, qualification identification number, signature, and stamp/statement that the person has reviewed and taken responsibility for the design activities.
All drawings, reports, and forms, including the completed Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish, must be provided in a PDF format on a re-writable DVD, USB or submitted by email.
- Survey or site plan showing property lines, lot area, right-of-way or easements (referenced to a current survey)
- Location of existing/proposed buildings with overall dimensions and include setback dimensions to property lines and adjacent buildings.
- Summary of permitted and proposed zoning provisions to include lot area, building area (GFA), coverage, and grade elevations to confirm height.
- Indicate dimensioned parking areas, driveways, hard & soft landscape treatments, accessory structures (sheds, decks, detached garages, etc).
Lot Grading Plan
Submit a plan showing the proposed grading of the lot, designed in a manner that will result in no new instances of ponding occur on existing adjacent properties and the subject property as a result of construction, in conformance with the Lot Grading Criteria for Infill Housing.
Fully dimensioned, for each level showing existing & proposed uses of all spaces, including location of smoke alarms & carbon monoxide detectors and all plumbing fixtures.
Provide existing/proposed construction with foundation & exterior wall information, showing interior partitions and structural framing above.
- Existing/proposed roof layout showing roof structure, skylights, roof slopes, hips/valleys/peaks and ventilation.
- Truss Drawings and Floor Joist Plan
- Where Engineered roof trusses or floor systems are proposed.
- Exterior finishes with roof slopes, window/door type, locations & sizes including height of sills above floor level.
- Provide area of exposed building face, percentage/area of unprotected openings and required limiting distance(s).
- Show exterior decks/landings, stairs, guards/handrails.
- Provide overall building height dimension.
- Cross section(s) to show existing/proposed building construction and specifications of all floor, wall, & roof assemblies.
- Provide footing & foundation wall details including height of exterior grade above basement floor.
- Show floor to floor, floor to ceiling and overall building heights.
- Detail stairs, landings, guards & handrails.
Construction Details and Notes
- Building materials & specifications of all wall, floor, and roof assemblies with typical wall section and typical roof detail.
- Provide guard details including connection detail.
If your project includes an HVAC elements please review the Residential Mechanical (HVAC) Guide for additional requirement
Plumbing and Drain Permits
If your project includes a plumbing or drain and water service elements please submit a Plumbing Data Sheet (below) with your building permit application. For one- and two-unit houses, no plans are required unless the project includes a reverse-sloping driveway. If the project includes a reverse sloped driveway then drawings must be submitted showing details of reverse sloped driveway and drain plan. All other residential plumbing and drain permit applications must include drawings showing layout of plumbing and related fixtures on each floor level.
Please note: not all projects are eligible for email submission. Review the list of eligible applications and detailed email submission process.
To submit an application by email please use the ‘Email’ button on top of the Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish.
Customers also have the option to attend ANY Toronto Building Customer Service counter to make an application for any of the services listed above. Customers will be asked to present a rewritable DVD or USB containing all the necessary materials for the eligible service requests.No paper copies will be required.
Building permit application form required for all submissions
Energy Efficiency Design Summary – Part 9 Residential
Compliance Using Prescriptive Method
Required when applying to construct a new Part 9 residential building or an addition to an existing Part 9 residential building, to establish compliance with the energy efficiency requirements stipulated in Supplemental Standard SB-12 of the Ontario Building Code.
Applicant/owner is required to pay a damage deposit as a protection guarantee against damage to the curb, sidewalk, road, public laneway, boulevard and other services as well as tracking mud on City streets, or failing to clear snow and ice from sidewalks while construction is in progress.
Required for all designers, except Engineers and Architects when applying for any Construction Permit. Property Owners, if exempted, from Qualification / Certification, they must fill-in the form to specify the reason for exemption.
Required for all projects where there is a potential for damage to private or City trees. Applicant is also responsible to comply with other tree protection bylaws http://www.toronto.ca/trees/
Required when applying for permits for new housing which are not subject to Sub-division or Site Plan Approval.
Construction – Group C [Residential Occupancies]
|Fee (per m², unless otherwise stated)
Effective Jan. 1, 2018
|Residential Unit Fee
Each new residential unit included in an application
|Single Family Dwellings, Semis, Townhouses, Duplexes, Live/Work Units||$17.16|
|(i) For Certification of Plans||$8.59|
|(ii) Permits for Certified Plans||$14.56|
|All other multiple unit buildings and any other residential occupancies||$17.16|
The permit fees shown above are shown as as Service Index per square metre of proposed work, unless otherwise specified. For full details of permit fee calculation and a complete list of fee rates, please see the Building Permit Fees page.
Protect Your Privacy
Please do not include any personal information on your Building Plans (e.g., the homeowner’s name or phone number). Building Plans submitted for Permit are subject to disclosure in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).