Small Residential Additions
A building permit for an addition to a small residential building, such as a detached house, semi-detached house, or townhouse.
All drawings to be drawn on standardized sized sheets, drawn to scale, fully dimensioned, signed and dated. If drawings were prepared by a qualified designer (as defined under Div. C, Part 3, Section 3.2 of the Ontario Building Code), drawings must include the designer’s name, registration number, qualification identification number, signature, and stamp/statement that the person has reviewed and taken responsibility for the design activities.
All drawings, reports, and forms, including the completed Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish, must be provided in a PDF format on a re-writable DVD, USB or submitted by email.Municipal Road Damage Deposit payment and form not required for applications which qualify for the Residential FASTRACK Program.
- Survey or site plan showing property lines, lot area, right-of-way or easements (referenced to a current survey)
- Location of existing/proposed buildings with overall dimensions and include setback dimensions to property lines and adjacent buildings.
- Summary of permitted and proposed zoning provisions to include lot area, building area (GFA), coverage, and grade elevations to confirm height.
- Indicate dimensioned parking areas, driveways, hard & soft landscape treatments, accessory structures (sheds, decks, detached garages, etc).
- Fully dimensioned, for each level showing existing & proposed uses of all spaces, including location of smoke alarms & carbon monoxide detectors and all plumbing fixtures.
- Provide existing/proposed construction with foundation & exterior wall information, showing interior partitions and structural framing above.
Existing/proposed roof layout showing roof structure, skylights, roof slopes, hips/valleys/peaks and ventilation.
- Exterior finishes with roof slopes, window/door type, locations & sizes including height of sills above floor level.
- Provide area of exposed building face, percentage/area of unprotected openings and required limiting distance(s).
- Show exterior decks/landings, stairs, guards/handrails.
- Provide overall building height dimension.
- Cross section(s) to show existing/proposed building construction and specifications of all floor, wall, & roof assemblies.
- Provide footing & foundation wall details including height of exterior grade above basement floor.
- Show floor to floor, floor to ceiling and overall building heights.
- Detail stairs, landings, guards & handrails.
Residential Garages or Accessory Structures
- Garages or Accessory Structures to be shown on Site Plan, showing the location of all existing and proposed buildings on the lot, setbacks to property lines, distance between proposed structure and other buildings on the lot.
- Dimensions and locations of all required vehicle parking spaces and the driveway used to access the spaces(s).
- Floor Plans, Elevations, Sections, Construction Details of the structure, including the details of the concrete floor slab, such as the concrete strength and re-enforcement proposed.
Decks and Verandahs
Plans including decks or verandahs must also show the following:
- Details of footings, including footing size, spacing, depth, height above grade and frost protection details.
- Sizes and Locations of all Columns; sizes, locations and spans of all beams.
- Stair Construction Details, including height and depth of stair treads and headroom above stairs (where applicable).
- Guard Construction Details, including information about openings and climbability, and the location of the guards with respect to stairways, landings, and edges of the proposed platform.
Building permit application form required for all submissions
Energy Efficiency Design Summary – Part 9 Residential
Required when applying to construct a new Part 9 residential building or an addition to an existing Part 9 residential building, to establish compliance with the energy efficiency requirements stipulated in Supplemental Standard SB-12 of the Ontario Building Code.
Compliance using prescriptive method:
Compliance using performance and other acceptable compliance methods:
This is a declaration form to be submitted to Toronto Building in order for the Owner or authorised agent of the owner to request an electronic copy of the Residential Infill Public Notice from Toronto Building for all additions with a proposed floor area greater than 100 m².
Applicant/owner is required to pay a damage deposit as a protection guarantee against damage to the curb, sidewalk, road, public laneway, boulevard and other services as well as tracking mud on City streets, or failing to clear snow and ice from sidewalks while construction is in progress.
Required for all designers, except Engineers and Architects when applying for any Construction Permit. Property Owners, if exempted, from Qualification / Certification, they must fill-in the form to specify the reason for exemption.
Required for all projects where there is a potential for damage to private or City trees. Applicant is also responsible to comply with other tree protection bylaws http://www.toronto.ca/trees/
Please note: not all projects are eligible for email submission. Review the list of eligible applications and detailed email submission process.
To submit an application by email please use the ‘Email’ button on top of the Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish.
Customers also have the option to attend ANY Toronto Building Customer Service counter to make an application for any of the services listed above. Customers will be asked to present a re-writable DVD or USB containing all the necessary materials for the eligible service requests. No paper copies will be required.
|Fee (per m², unless otherwise stated)
Effective Jan. 1, 2020
|Residential Unit Fee
Each new residential unit included in an application
|Single Family Dwellings, Semis, Townhouses, Duplexes, Live/Work Units||$17.16|
|Interior alterations (partitions, finishings, etc.) Group C, E and F||$4.93|
The permit fees shown above are shown as as Service Index per square metre of proposed work, unless otherwise specified. For full details of permit fee calculation and a complete list of fee rates, please see the Building Permit Fees page.
Protect Your Privacy
Please do not include any personal information on your Building Plans (e.g., the homeowner’s name or phone number). Building Plans submitted for Permit are subject to disclosure in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).