Learn about Indigenous Peoples in Toronto as a newcomer, along with a Facilitator’s Guide for educators. The French version of Indigenous Peoples in Toronto and the Facilitator’s Guide is now available.

To translate most pages of this website into your language, use the Translate button at the bottom of the page.


311 provides residents, businesses and visitors with easy access to non-emergency City services, programs and information 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 311 can offer assistance in more than 180 languages.


InMyLanguage.org provides information for newcomers in more than 30 languages.

Newcomer Welcome Brochure

Download our Newcomer Welcome Brochure in English and learn about City services.

Other languages

  • French
  • Arabic
  • Farsi
  • Simplified Chinese

There are two vitally important documents that all newcomers to Canada must obtain: a health card and a Social Insurance Number.

A Health Card is required to use provincial healthcare services covered by OHIP, the Ontario Health Insurance Plan. All Canadian residents are covered for major medical and hospital costs by provincial health insurance programs.

Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. A SIN is issued by the federal government to one person only and cannot legally be used by anyone else.

The City of Toronto provides services to residents regardless of their immigration status.

When you apply for or use City services, City of Toronto employees will not ask about immigration status unless it is required by law.

Review the identification requirements for commonly accessed City services or call 311 if you would like to speak to someone about your eligibility for a specific program.

Settlement workers are available at City Hall (100 Queen Street West, main floor rotunda) from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, to assist newcomers with the following free and confidential services:

  • Accessing interpretation or translation assistance
  • Help finding training and career building opportunities
  • Information and referral to other community services, schools, and health care

This program is offered in partnership with the Toronto Settlement Collaborative, made up of Catholic Crosscultural Services, Centre for Immigrant and Community Services, CultureLink, North York Community House and The Neighbourhood Organization.

Drop by or call 416-338-0688 to book an appointment.

You can also meet with settlement workers at Newcomer Services Kiosks across the city.

Learn about other settlement worker programs.

Need more information about settlement worker programs? Please email newcomeroffice@toronto.ca

There are free health services available to you and your family from the City of Toronto no matter how long you have been in Canada.

Find out about financial help to pay for health and medical related expenses like dental care, assistive devices and eye care.

Learn about health resources for uninsured Torontonians through the Wellesley Institute Health Network.

Find your nearest Community Health Centre and access integrated health care, language and settlement programs specifically for newcomers, even if you do not have a health card.

Professional Accreditation

There are some professions where you need to be registered or certified in order to work in Toronto or Ontario. This is especially true for professions where you must show proof of experience or aptitude, such as medicine, accounting, engineering, teaching and nursing.

Learn about getting your credentials assessed in Canada and how to work in your profession or trade.

The Province of Ontario’s Office of the Fairness Commissioner ensures the credentials of internationally trained professionals are evaluated fairly and transparently.

Academic Accreditation

Many immigrants arrive in Toronto with plans to attend schools, universities or colleges. If possible, please bring your high school and post secondary transcripts (written documents) with you to Canada to help speed up the application process to Toronto’s School Boards and Ontario’s Colleges and Universities.

In Toronto, there are a variety of schools, universities and colleges that can grant diplomas or degrees and recognize foreign education credentials comparable to Canadian standards through a credential assessment service.

There are other organizations that also deal with professional accreditation:

Make sure your potential neighbourhood is well-connected by transit:

  • Learn about the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) which runs the buses, subways and streetcars in Toronto.
  • Check out Metrolinx to learn about transit options connecting to regions beyond central Toronto.

Toronto’s licensed child care system has over 1,000 centres and 19 home child care agencies providing early learning and care for children up to 12 years of age. The City supports quality programs which promote healthy outcomes for all children.

Publicly funded education for children is available in Toronto, in both English and French.