Business Improvement Areas (BIAs)
A Business Improvement Area (BIA) is an association of commercial property owners and tenants within a designated area who join together under the auspices of a volunteer Board of Management elected by the businesses in the designated area and appointed by City Council to:
- oversee the improvement, beautification and maintenance of municipally-owned land, buildings and structures in the business improvement area beyond City standard levels provided at the expense of the municipality generally;
- maintain business improvement area-initiated streetscaping capital assets within the business improvement area;
- promote the business improvement area as a business, employment, tourist or shopping area;
- offer graffiti and poster removal services respecting building facades visible from the street, to all member property owners who provide written consent, upon approval of the program by the general membership of the business improvement area;
- undertake safety and security initiatives within the business improvement area;
- undertake strategic planning necessary to address business improvement area issues; and
- advocate on behalf of the interests of the business improvement area.
Follow this link for information on the Board governance structure for the BIA Boards of Management.
BIA Boards of Management contribute to the improvement, beautification and maintenance of business areas by coordinating local businesses and managing partnerships with the City to: enhance and promote commercial areas as safe, vibrant places to do business, unique destinations for tourists, and focal points for neighbourhood activity; contribute to Toronto’s image as culturally diverse, cosmopolitan and progressive; and to undertake projects to improve business areas.
The City currently has 82 geographically dispersed BIAs involving over 35,000 small businesses, the most BIAs worldwide.
The Toronto Association of Business Improvement Areas (TABIA) is a separate organization that coordinates communication, issues management and advocacy on matters of interest to all BIAs.