City Guideline 2002-2: Annualized Claim Process for Housing Providers Receiving Rent Supplement Funding
|Date issued||Effective date|
|November 5, 2002||January 1, 2003|
The policies and procedures in this City Guideline are mandatory and are to be implemented by Housing Providers receiving Rent Supplement.
The City of Toronto assumed responsibility for funding and program administration of Social Housing on May 1, 2002. This included Rent Supplement programs formerly administered by the Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing through either the Ontario Community Housing Assistance Program (OCHAP) or the Community Sponsored Housing Program (CSHP).
The Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (MMAH) approved and paid Rent Supplement claims on a monthly basis. During information sessions held in June 2002, the City advised housing providers of its intention to introduce an annualized payment process for these Rent Supplement programs.
In a letter dated October 7, 2002, Housing Providers receiving Rent Supplement were asked to comment on the proposed change from a monthly to an annual claim process. This consultation has now been completed and no major concerns were identified.
- The new Annual Rent Supplement Subsidy Request must be approved by the Board of Directors.
- It must be submitted to the City of Toronto, to the attention of your Social Housing Consultant by December 1, 2002.
- Appendix “A” contains the “Subsidy Request Form” including the Board of Directors’ signature lines.
- Appendix “B” contains Instructions on how to complete Appendix “A”.
City of Toronto Rent Supplement Subsidy Request
Instruction Sheet for the Rent Supplement ‘Subsidy Request Form’ (Appendix A)
Section 95 Non-Profit Housing Providers
Enter approved Lower-End of Market (LEM) Rents for the fiscal year in question
into line 1800.
Section 26/27 Non-Profit Housing Providers
Establish project’s market rent expected for next fiscal year by unit type (e.g. 1
bedroom, 2 bedroom, etc.) and enter into line 1800.
- Determine number of units eligible for rent supplement by unit type.
- The number of units eligible for rent supplement must equal or fall below the number indicated in your Rent Supplement Agreement.
- This should be an estimate of the number of units you expect to be occupied during the year. For example, if your maximum RGI units are 47 and you only expect 45 to be occupied, enter 45.
- Enter into line 1801.
- Determine the number of months you expect to receive subsidy during the period of January 1, 2003 to the end of your fiscal year. For example, if the fiscal year-end is June 30th, enter “6”.
- Enter into line 1811.
- Add Rent Supplement rent from tenants over the past 12 months.
- Divide total paid by 12.
- Divide total by number of units subsidized.
- Enter into line 1816.
- All other fields are calculated.
- Administration fees will continue to be based on $4.50 per unit per month (line 1821).
- The subsidy that you will receive each month is line 1880 divided by line 1811. This number is not shown on the subsidy request form.
- Your Board must approve your “subsidy request” prior to submission to the City of Toronto.
- Subsidy requests are due 3 months prior to the beginning of the fiscal year.
If you have any questions, please contact your Housing Consultant or the HSS:
Housing Stability Services
Shelter, Support & Housing Administration
City of Toronto
365 Bloor Street East, 15th floor
Toronto, ON M4W 3L4