Commemorative Tree & Bench Program
About the Program
The City of Toronto offers wonderful ways to pay lasting tribute to individuals, special occasions and organizations through its Commemorative Bench and Tree programs in City parks.
The City invites the public to pay tribute to a person or occasion by purchasing a park bench or tree for installation in a public park.
Any person wishing to donate a tree or bench in a City park must complete a Commemorative Tree and Bench Program Request form from Parks, Forestry and Recreation, along with a cheque or money order payable to ‘Treasurer, City of Toronto’ and submit to the address indicated on the form.
- The application fee is $738 for a commemorative tree.
- The application fee is $2,530 for a commemorative bench.
- The Commemorative Tree & Bench Program covers its costs with these fees.
- The existing bench application fee of $1,753 will be charged when a commemorative plaque is added to an existing bench.
- The donation is tax deductible. The due date for a tax-deductible receipt for the current year is December 1st.
Plaques will be provided for both commemorative trees and benches at no additional cost and will be provided after installation is completed.
Commemorative trees will be hardwoods (50-millimeter calliper) and conifers (250-centimetre height) with few exceptions.
- Commemorative Trees will be replaced by the City, at no charge to the applicant, within five years of the original planting date or a subsequent replanting date if required.
- Commemorative benches and associated plaques will be maintained by the City for a maximum of 10 years and 2 years respectively, at no cost to the applicant.
- Bench repair/replacement after 10 years will be at the City’s discretion.
- Plaque repair/replacement after 2 years will be charged to the applicant.
- The approved location of a planting site or bench installation depends on proposed future development within a park, the location of underground utilities, and other site restrictions.
- Some parks may already be at capacity and therefore a tree or bench may not be made available for such a park.
- Tree planting or bench installation dates cannot be specified due to weather, grower supply, parks construction and special events situations.
- Choice of tree species, planting sites, and bench installation sites are subject to City approval.
- Parks Maintenance and Construction Section within the City of Toronto will coordinate and maintain the program.
- Commemorative trees will be replaced by the City, at no charge to the applicant, within five years of the original planting date or a subsequent replanting date if required.
- A tree with a plaque will cost the donor $738.00.
- A bench with a plaque will cost the donor $2,530.00.
- The existing bench application fee of $1,753.00 will be charged when a commemorative plaque is added to an existing bench.
- Every effort will be made to accommodate your choice of location and species. However, changes may be made at the parks supervisor’s discretion.
- The tree, bench and the plaque will be replaced or repaired if vandalized.
- Tree planting or bench installation dates cannot be specified. Due to weather, grower supply, parks construction and special event situations.
- Written confirmation will follow after installation is completed.
- The donation is tax-deductible – Income Tax Act, Sub-paragraph 110(1) (a)(1v), on
request only. Please fill the Donors’ Declaration form.