Commemorative Tree & Bench Program
About the Program
The City of Toronto offers wonderful ways to pay lasting tribute to individuals, special occasions and organizations through its Commemorative Bench, Tree and Bale programs in City parks.
The Commemorative Tree and Bench Program invites the public to pay tribute to a person or occasion by purchasing a park bench or tree for installation in a public park.
Any person wishing to donate a tree or bench in a City park must complete a Commemorative Tree and Bench Program Request form from Parks, Forestry, & Recreation, along with a cheque or money order payable to ‘Treasurer, City of Toronto’ and submit to the address indicated on the form.
- For spring planting the application deadline is April 1.
- For fall planting the application deadline is September 1.
- Written confirmation will follow after installation is completed.
- The application fee is $738 for a commemorative tree.
- The application fee is $2,530 for a commemorative bench.
- The CT&B Program covers its costs with these fees.
- The existing bench application fee of $1,753 will be charged when a commemorative plaque is added to an existing bench.
- The donation is tax deductible. Due date for a tax deductible receipt for the current year is December 1st.
Plaques will be provided for both commemorative trees and benches at no additional cost and will be provided after installation is completed.
Commemorative trees will be hardwoods (50-millimeter caliper) and conifers (250-centimeter height) with few exceptions.
- Commemorative Trees will be replaced by the City, at no charge to the applicant, within five years of the original planting date or a subsequent replanting date if required.
- Commemorative benches and associated plaques will be maintained by the City for a maximum of 10 years and 2 years respectively, at no cost to the applicant.
- Bench repair/replacement after 10 years will be at the City’s discretion.
- Plaque repair/replacement after 2 years will be charged to the applicant.
- The approved location of a planting site or bench installation depends on proposed future development within a park, the location of underground utilities, and other site restrictions.
- Some parks may already be at capacity and therefore a tree or bench may not be made available for such a park.
- Tree planting or bench installation dates cannot be specified due to weather, grower supply, parks construction and special events situations.
- Choice of tree species, planting sites, and bench installation sites are subject to City approval.
If a planting location and/or tree species or bench location cannot be mutually agreed upon, the application fee will be refunded.