The 2020 Spring application process is closed. The Fall application process will open on May 1, 2020, with a deadline of August 1, 2020.
The Commemorative Tree and Bench Program allows the public to pay tribute to a person(s) or occasion by purchasing a park bench or tree for installation in a City of Toronto public park.
Commemorative Tree and Bench Program application
Submit completed forms to email@example.com.
For fall 2020 tree planting, bench and plaque installations:
- Applications will be accepted beginning May 1, 2020
- The application deadline is August 1, 2020
City staff will review the application, find a suitable location within the park and notify residents on the status of their application within 6 weeks after the application deadline.
Fees & Payment
- Commemorative tree: $ 738.00
- Commemorative bench: $ 2,530.00
- Commemorative plaque on existing bench: $ 1,753.00
After site approval, applicants will be notified by email to make payment of their donation. Payment in full is required before planting or installation.
Pay by cheque or money order
Drop off a cheque or money order, payable to “Treasurer, City of Toronto”, to the Parks, Forestry and Recreation Permit counter at:
Pay by credit card
Call Client Services at 416-396-7378 to pay with a credit card.
Pay online through eFun. You will need login information, including a Family Number and Client Number. Learn more about this process at How to Register for Recreation Programs.
The donation is tax-deductible through the Income Tax Act, Sub-paragraph 110(1) (a)(1v), and on request only. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the Donors’ Declaration form.
The due date for a tax-deductible receipt request for the current year is December 1. Donors will receive a confirmation once the tree or bench plaque installation has been completed.
Location, Tree Species & Plaque Type
The approved location of a planting site or bench installation depends on proposed future development within a park, the location of underground utilities, and other site restrictions.
Commemorative trees will be hardwoods (50-millimetre caliper) and conifers (250-centimetre height). The choice of tree species, planting sites, and bench installation sites are subject to City approval.
The commemorative plaque, 16 centimetres by 10 centimetres (6 inches by 4 inches), is affixed to the donated bench or set in concrete and placed at the base of your donated tree.
- Only one plaque is allowed.
- Advertising or promotion is not allowed.
- Plaques will be provided and attached after planting or installation.
- The City of Toronto’s park maintenance and construction section will coordinate and maintain the program.
- Every effort will be made to accommodate your choice of location and species, however, changes may be made at the parks supervisor’s discretion.
- Tree planting or bench installation dates cannot be specified due to weather, grower supply, park construction and special event situations.
- Written confirmation will follow after installation is completed.
- Commemorative trees will be replaced by the City, at no charge to the applicant, within five years of the original planting date if the tree does not survive or is damaged or vandalized.
- Commemorative benches will be maintained by the City for a maximum of 10 years at no cost to the applicant.
- Bench repair and replacement after 10 years will be at the City’s discretion.
- Plaque repair and replacement after 2 years will be charged to the applicant. The city will cover the cost of a one-time replacement if your plaque is stolen or vandalized