Management of one of the largest municipal water, wastewater and stormwater utilities in North America, with approximately 1,600 staff, operating in a highly regulated environment.
- Ensures over 3.6 million residents and businesses in Toronto, and portions of York and Peel have access to safe drinking water, safely treated wastewater and stormwater management.
- Manages more than $83 billion in assets, including eight treatment plants, pumping stations, water and sewer mains, laboratories and yards.
- Ensures these critical services are delivered safely to Toronto residents, businesses and visitors in order to protect public health, safety and property in an environmentally and fiscally responsible manner.
Strategic Planning and Workforce Development:
- Provides Toronto Water with a strategic focus on the development and sustainability of effective leadership, a positive workplace culture, a high-performing workforce and strong business management.
- Develops resources and tools to achieve strategies and goals aimed at improving the division’s workforce capacity and capability to meet current and future needs.
- Management and coordination of critical and high-quality training for Toronto Water employees to assist in meeting regulatory requirements and professional development, including job-specific skill sets.
The Customer & Technical Support section manages:
- Customer service response, including dispatch and investigation; and,
- Water meters and service requests, such as water system leaks, low water pressure, water turn on/turn off, blocked drains, etc.
The Customer & Technical Support section also:
- Administers customer service programs, such as the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program and Priority Lead Water Service Replacement Program.
- Leads contract management for water and sewermain rehabilitation.
- Manages integrated technology and process control systems for Toronto Water.
The Distribution & Collection section:
- Inspects, maintains and repairs existing water distribution and wastewater collection systems, as well as stormwater management facilities (i.e. watermains, hydrants, sewers, catch basins, etc.).
- Manages installation of new water and sewer service connection.
The Environment & Administration section:
- Enforces the Water and Sewers Bylaws.
- Conducts laboratory testing for water quality standards.
- Manages spills and coordinates clean-up.
- Ensures compliance with environmental, health and safety regulations.
- Conducts purchasing to support operations.
- Leads fleet maintenance, facility management, and security and emergency response.
The Wastewater Treatment section:
- Collects and treats wastewater (sewage) in Toronto and a portion of Peel Region.
- Manages biosolids (organic material generated by wastewater treatment), including production and disposal.
The Water Infrastructure Management section:
- Maintains inventories of Toronto Water’s assets, ensuring existing infrastructure has adequate capacity and is in good repair.
- Plans for future growth.
- Prepares the annual capital program for infrastructure repairs, replacement and rehabilitation.
- Protects water resources through new policies, programs, technology and environmental assessments.
The Water Treatment & Supply section:
- Treats, transmits, stores and distributes drinking water to residents and businesses in Toronto and portions of York Region.
- Ensures compliance with provincial Drinking Water Regulation.