Housing options shift to support our changing needs as we age. On this page is a description of services that enable aging at home and other more intensive supports.

The Toronto Seniors Helpline (416-217-2077) or 211 can also help seniors discuss Housing options.

Find a Home or Place to Stay


Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI) or subsidized housing is a housing subsidy or benefit offered by the City of Toronto to make rent affordable for households.

There are subsidized units in mixed buildings and in seniors-only buildings. To apply for subsidized housing (Rent-Geared-to-Income housing), use Housing Connections (https://www.housingconnections.ca/). You can also contact a Housing Help Centre (https://www.toronto.ca/community-people/housing-shelter/homeless-help/#housing) for support.

Please note, the number of people needing subsidized housing is greater than the number of units available. As a result, it can take years for an applicant to get housed.

Market Rent Seniors Housing

If you are looking for seniors-specific housing at a market rent (not subsidized), you can:

Supportive Housing for Seniors

Supportive housing can provide on-site personal support services for seniors in designated residential buildings.

The City runs a Supportive Housing Services for Seniors program in 9 buildings, to help seniors live independently with supports such as personal care, light housekeeping, medication checks and more.  The program offers the stability and safety of intermittent 24-hour support and an on-site Registered Practical Nurse.

Other service providers in Toronto also offer supportive housing. To apply, contact your local LHIN – Home and Community Care (call 310-2222, no area code).

Long-Term Care Homes

There are 10 long-term care homes directly operated by the City of Toronto and many others in Toronto and the surrounding area operated by not-for-profit and private operators.  Learn more about long-term care in Ontario.

All City-operated long-term care homes provide 24-hour resident-focused care and service including nursing and personal care, behavioural support programs, medical services, recreational programming, dietetics and food services, laundry, social work, spiritual and religious care, housekeeping, maintenance, trust and administrative services. Diverse and inclusive care and services, community outreach and extensive volunteer programs are available in every home.

To learn about eligibility requirements for long-term care placement in a City, not-for-profit, or private long-term care home, call your local Home and Community Care at 310-2222 (no area code required).

Emergency Shelters

The City of Toronto provides support and information to residents in rental units who are at risk of losing their home and being evicted and operates two shelters focused on the needs of older adults. For more information, please call the Central Intake line at 416-338-4766.

Improve or Maintain Your Home

Renovate Your Home

The Toronto Renovates Program offers funding for low-income seniors who require health or safety repairs or accessibility modifications to their homes.

Get more information by emailing torontorenovates@toronto.ca or by calling 416-392-8342.

Get Snow Removal & Lawn Care

The City of Toronto offers free snow removal from City sidewalks for residents age 65 and above and those who are unable to remove snow without endangering their health. For more information, please call 416-392-7768.

The City also funds community agencies to shovel snow on your property and cut your grass. For more information about these community agencies, please call 311.

Fire Safety

Learn how to make your home and holidays safe with our fire safety tips and prevention information, including how to create a fire escape plan and chose a smoke alarm for your home.

Pay for Your Home

Apply for Property Tax, Water & Utility Relief

The City offers several programs that allow eligible low-income seniors to cancel or defer property tax increases and apply for a water rebate.

Emergency Energy Fund

Low-income Toronto residents may qualify for help with energy-related emergencies to reconnect, or prevent disconnection of, their heat or hydro services.

To apply for the Emergency Energy Fund, call 416-338-8888. An assessment will be done over the phone, and you will need to provide details on your financial situation and about the energy emergency you are facing.

Learn more here.

Toronto HomeShare: Share Your Home with a University Student

Toronto HomeShare is a program run by the National Initiative for the Care of the Elderly (NICE). Toronto HomeShare matches seniors wishing to share a spare room in their home with university and college students seeking affordable housing.

In exchange for reduced rent, $400-600 per month, the student provides up to 7 hours of companionship and/or assistance competing light household tasks, such as preparing and sharing meals, tidying up, carrying groceries, or walking a pet.

Toronto HomeShare is facilitated by social workers. They match seniors and students based on a variety of characteristics and preferences, ensure all participants receive a Vulnerable Sector Screening, and are available throughout the entire experience, from initial contact to post-move in support.

Find our more information on the Toronto HomeShare Program or complete the Home Provider Matching Form.


For general inquiries on the Toronto HomeShare Program, please call 416-978-4706 or email toronto.homeshare@gmail.com

Housing Allowance

A housing allowance is a non-repayable subsidy to help eligible households pay the rent.  It is subject to annual eligibility reviews.

Rent Bank

Rent Bank provides limited, interest-free repayable loans to eligible low-income households facing imminent eviction for rental arrears or requiring first and/or last months’ rent rent deposit to move into more affordable and stable housing.

You can also call 211 or the Toronto Seniors Helpline (416-217-2077) for help in discussing Housing options for seniors.