False Fire Alarm Charges
Nuisance False Alarm Call:
The activation of a fire alarm system through a mechanical failure, equipment malfunction or improper maintenance or installation of the system, but does not include the activation of a fire alarm system where the activation occurred as a result of accidental damage to the system.
Malicious False Alarm Call:
The negligent or intentional misuse of a fire alarm system resulting in an activation of the system, but does not include the activation of a fire alarm system under circumstances that would have caused a careful or prudent person to believe that a fire related emergency was in progress at the owner’s building or in circumstances where the owner has notified the Fire Department in advance of work being done on the fire alarm system that could cause a false fire alarm.
How to request a review
A property address that has been assessed with a false fire alarm charge may appeal a response determined by the fire department as a false alarm. The appeal requesting a review of the charges may be submitted via email, fax or mail.
The letter must include the reason for appeal and provide information to support your request that the incident was not a false fire alarm.
An alarm is considered false if it is determined that the alarm was caused through:
- A mechanical failure
- An equipment malfunction
- Improper maintenance or installation of the system
- The negligent or intentional misuse of a fire alarm system resulting in the activation of the system
An alarm will not be considered false if it is determined that the alarm was caused by:
- A disaster such as earthquakes or severe weather conditions
- Accidental damage to the system
- Non-repetitive occurrence of the false alarm caused by smoke or steam
- CO detector activation
- Fire alarm system testing involving the activation of the system where Fire Service has been notified in advance
- Vandalism/malicious causing damage where Toronto Police has been contacted to assist
Please email, fax or mail your letter to:
False Fire Alarms Request for Review
Fire Services Headquarters
4330 Dufferin St, 2nd Floor
Toronto, ON M3H 5R9
Requests will be acknowledged in writing upon receipt. For further information on the fee structure and re-imbursement process of the False Alarm By-law, please refer to Chapter 441 Appendix B (Fees and Charges) and Chapter 442-2 (Administration of Fees and Charges) of the Toronto Municipal Code at http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/lawmcode.htm