Our Baby-Friendly Promise
- We support the infant feeding choices of all families.
- We provide families with information about feeding their babies in a safe and nurturing way.
- We have a policy that protects, promotes and supports breastfeeding. Our staff are trained to follow this policy.
- We inform individuals and their families about the importance of breastfeeding during the preconception and prenatal period.
- We encourage parents and their families to hold and feed their babies using safe skin-to-skin.
- We support parents and their families to feed their babies breast milk only for the first six months and to continue to breastfeed, with solid foods, up to two years and beyond.
- We work with our community partners to support breastfeeding in the City of Toronto.
- We do not give out infant formula, bottles, nipples, or pacifiers.
- We welcome parents to breastfeed anytime anywhere on City of Toronto property and other locations where we provide service.
The Baby-Friendly Initiative (BFI) is a global program of the World Health Organization and UNICEF. The aim of this program is to protect, promote and support breastfeeding.
Baby-Friendly hospitals and community health services are committed to provide a high standard of care in relation to infant feeding for all pregnant women and new families.
Toronto Public Health (TPH) successfully achieved Baby-Friendly Initiative (BFI) Re-Designation in 2018. TPH initially received this globally recognized designation in 2013. This means Toronto residents continue to receive high quality infant feeding services.
For more information about the Baby-Friendly Initiative, please visit:
This information has been translated in the following languages: