Learn how to set up, finalize and request changes to your property tax and/or utility account if you are buying, selling or moving residences.

Note: You cannot use the online service to change ownership on a property, go to Change of Ownership below for more information.

Update the ownership information for a property tax account by submitting a lawyer’s letter containing the following:

  • new owner’s and previous owner’s full names (if a change of ownership is due to a sale/purchase)
  • property address
  • Assessment Roll Number
  • the mailing address of the new owner, including postal code
  • closing date of the sale (or date of transaction for name change)
  • lawyer’s signature
  • a copy of the deed may be required

Once your ownership information is updated, a Property Tax Account Statement will be mailed to you and includes an Ownership Change Fee.

Submit your request by fax or mail:

City of Toronto
Revenue Services, Account Administration
PO Box 4300, STN A
Toronto, ON M5W 3B5
Fax: 416-696-3640 (refer to Tips on Faxing)

Pre-authorized Tax/Utility Bill Payment Program

Are you selling a home and currently enrolled in a pre-authorized payment program? Learn more.

Online Mailing Address Change Service

Use the secure self-service Property Tax Lookup tool to update your mailing address to re-direct your property tax and utility bill. It’s quick, easy and convenient!

Note: This service allows you to update the mailing address to which your property tax or utility bill is sent. You cannot use this service to change the ownership of the property, or to notify the City of a change in ownership. To advise of a change in ownership, please follow the Change of Ownership instructions.

Are you an owner of a newly constructed property and have received a Supplementary/Omitted tax bill? Submit your change of mailing address by mail, fax or in-person. Online mailing address changes cannot be processed for new properties at this time. Network technicians are working to restore service. We apologize for the inconvenience.

How it Works

Login to the Property Tax Lookup by entering information located on your tax bill or property tax statement of account:

  • roll number
  • property owner’s last name
  • postal code
  • customer number

Enter your email address to place a request to change your mailing address.

  • Once the email address is entered, you will be emailed a confirmation code by reply email. Input the confirmation code to proceed with the change of mailing request.
  • After the request is submitted, you will receive an email, confirming your request. Processing time is 48 business hours.
  • Once the request is processed, you will receive a confirmation email advising that your change of address has been updated in our system.

Submitting Request by Mail or Fax

You may also update your mailing address by providing the following:

  • Name and the names of any other owner(s) of the property
  • Property address
  • Assessment Roll Number or utility account number
  • New mailing address, including postal code
  • Effective date for address change
  • Signature (of owner, agent or lawyer)

Submit your request by mail or fax:

City of Toronto
Revenue Services, Account Administration
PO Box 4300, STN A
Toronto, ON M5W 3B5
Fax: 416-696-3640 (refer to Tips on Faxing)

If you are a landlord/property owner you can add a tenant or agent to receive utility bills.

If you subscribe to electronic billing, changes to your tax/utility account may affect how you receive your electronic bill.

Buying a Home

The tax bill is mailed to the property owner on file. Consult with your lawyer about obtaining a Tax and/or Utility Certificate; a certificate will provide:

  • current status of the property taxes and/or utility account
  • any upcoming property tax due dates or utility bill due date

Any payments received after a tax instalment or utility bill due date will result in penalty and interest or loss of early payment discount with any applicable fees.

  • If you are a new property owner and not aware of any upcoming tax instalments or utility bill due dates, penalty and interest is still applicable when payment is received late.

Once your ownership information has been updated, a Property Tax Account Statement will be mailed to you and will include an Ownership Change Fee.

Updating Your Payment Information

The assessment roll number and utility account number are assigned to the property and not to the property owner or resident. If you make telephone or online banking payments and have recently bought, sold or moved, be sure to update your new assessment roll number and utility account number with your financial institution. If you do not update this information:

  • your payment will be applied to a property you no longer own or reside at
  • your property tax bill or utility bill for your current property will remain unpaid and incur late penalty and interest charges
  • you may incur a Payment Re-Distribution Fee for requests to transfer misdirected, misapplied payments or credits arising from an over-payment.

Pre-Authorized Tax/Utility Bill Payment Program

  • You must notify the City in writing to cancel your enrollment in the Pre-Authorized Tax Payment Program or Pre-Authorized Utility Bill Payment Program when selling your property.
  • Enrolment in these programs is not transferable to another property. You are required to complete and return a new application form for your new property tax/utility account.
  • Payment for your final utility bill must be remitted through one of the alternative payment options.

Solid Waste

Solid waste charges are added to utility bills whether you resided at the property or if the property is unoccupied. Charges are based on existing bin sizes at the property (small, medium, large, extra-large) at the time of sale and remain assigned to the property unless a change in bin size is requested by the new owner. If a request is made to have a bin size changed, applicable charges will be applied once your bins are delivered to the property.

Vacant Properties

If you have purchased a property and if it is to remain vacant you may opt-out for garbage collection and request that the (green, blue, black) bins be removed from the property by making a service request.

First utility bill

When you receive your first bill, it is recommended you confirm the numbers located on the side of your existing bin(s) and compare that with the information found on your utility bill. If there are discrepancies, please contact 311.

Selling Your Home

If you no longer own the property but you are still receiving the tax bill, please return the bill with the required documents listed above in Change of Ownership. Should you have any questions, you may contact a Customer Service Representative for more information.

The City of Toronto receives property assessment and information (return of the assessment roll) from the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) annually in mid to late November.

The City uses this property information from MPAC to generate the interim and final property tax bills. The name(s) and mailing address that appear on your tax bill are updated by the City, the name(s) that appear under the “Assessed Owner” is pulled from the annual return of the assessment roll.

If you have purchased property after October 31, 2021, your 2022 final property tax bill, the “Assessed Owner” field will show the previous owner. Your name will appear as the “Assessed Owner” on your 2023 property tax bills.

Property owners can access information about their property by contacting MPAC at
1-866-296-6722 or visit the MPAC website Opens in new window to access the online tool AboutMyProperty Opens in new window to review information on file for your property.

Power of Attorney or Executor of Estate

To have tax/utility account details released to an authorized agent, and/or to accommodate a mailing address change request the property owner, or person(s) assigned as Power of Attorney/Executor are required to submit:

  • a written, signed request from the agent indicating the property location and assessment roll number/utility account number
  • complete supporting documents, such as a death certificate, or legal document for transferring a property from one name to another, if applicable
  • complete supporting documents clearly assigning Power of Attorney or Executor of Estate

Letter of Authorization

To have tax/utility account details released to an authorized agent, submit a Letter of Authorization that includes the following:

  • the property address and assessment roll number/utility account number
  • clearly stating what authority you are assigning and to whom you are assigning authorization
  • your (property owner) signature

Submit your request by fax or mail:

City of Toronto
Revenue Services, Account Administration
PO Box 4300, STN A
Toronto, ON M5W 3B5
Fax: 416-696-3640 (refer to Tips on Faxing)

You will need to set up or finalize your utility account if:

  • you have purchased/sold a property
  • you have a tenant or agent registered as being the recipient of the utility bill (as a Designate Mailer), and who is vacating the premises

To request a final water meter reading contact a customer service representative and provide:

  • your property address
  • your utility account number
  • the closing date or moving day
  • a forwarding address where your final utility bill can be mailed
  • a telephone number

As a purchaser, your first utility bill will include an Ownership Change Fee.

If you are vacating the property, your final utility bill will include a Special/Final Read Fee.

Final meter read cancels Pre-authorized Utility Bill Payment (PUP) Program enrolment

If you are enrolled in the PUP program, once your final meter read is processed, enrolment in the program is cancelled. You will receive a regular utility bill and payment must be made by an alternative payment option by the utility bill due date.