Thank you for considering pet adoption. There are many animals staying at our shelters that need a home. View animals available for adoption online or contact animal shelters.
Things to Consider Before You Adopt
- Are you looking for a companion for your child or a dog to exercise with? Why you want to adopt can help you determine the species and breed that will fit your lifestyle.
- When you adopt a pet, you are making a commitment to care for the pet for the rest of its life. This can be up to 20 years. For a shorter commitment, consider adopting an older pet.
- How much time and space you have. Dogs and cats need exercise, play and companionship every day.
- Food, veterinary care, pet licence and other supplies will be a consistent expense.
- There are important information you should consider when adopting pets from overseas to ensure animals and humans are protected against diseases. Learn more about Adopting & Importing Pets from Overseas.
Fees and What to Bring with You When You Adopt
What to Provide
- A driver’s licence or identification with your current address
- Payment of the adoption fee in cash, debit, Visa, Mastercard or American Express
Whenever possible, all family members should come into to the shelter to select a new pet.
View available animals.
|bird (budgie, finch)
|bird (small parrot)
|bird (large parrot)
Preparing Your Home for a New Pet
- Have all necessary supplies ready for your dog or cat – food, bowls, leash or harness, collar, brush, toys, scratching posts, bed, crates, litter box.
- Put away household chemicals such as cleaners, insecticides and antifreeze.
- Place houseplants out of reach – some are poisonous to animals.
- Keep potentially harmful household items out of reach including garbage, medicine, pins, elastics, thread, needles, etc.
- Have separate areas for your new pet and existing pets. Pets need to be introduced to one another slowly.
- Keep doors closed including the doors to your washer and dryer, closets and cupboards.
If Your New Pet is the Wrong Match
- Pet adoptions are usually successful.
- If the adoption is not a good match for the new owner or the pet, you can return the pet to the shelter. Please call us first to make arrangements: 416-338-7297.
Thank you to Hill’s Science Diet and PetSmart Charities of Canada for their generous donation to our adoption program.