Adopt a Pet
Thank you for considering pet adoption. There are many animals staying at our shelters that need a home.
- Are you looking for a companion for your child or a dog to exercise with? Why you want to adopt can help you determine the species and breed that will fit your lifestyle.
- When you adopt a pet, you are making a commitment to care for the pet for the rest of its life. This can be up to 20 years. For a shorter commitment, consider adopting an older pet.
- How much time and space you have. Dogs and cats need exercise, play and companionship every day.
- Food, veterinary care, pet licence and other supplies will be a consistent expense.
What to Provide
- a driver’s licence or identification with your current address
- payment of the adoption fee in cash, debit, Visa, Mastercard or American Express
Whenever possible, all family members should come into to the shelter to select a new pet.
|bird (budgie, finch)||$5|
|bird (small parrot)||$50|
|bird (large parrot)||$100|
- Have all necessary supplies ready for your dog or cat – food, bowls, leash or harness, collar, brush, toys, scratching posts, bed, crates, litter box.
- Put away household chemicals such as cleaners, insecticides, antifreeze.
- Place houseplants out of reach – some are poisonous to animals.
- Keep potentially harmful household items out of reach including garbage, medicine, pins, elastics, thread, needles, etc.
- Have separate areas for your new pet and existing pets. Pets need to be introduced to one another slowly.
- Keep doors closed including the doors to your washer and dryer, closets and cupboards.
- Pet adoptions are usually successful.
- If the adoption is not a good match for the new owner or the pet, you can return the pet to the shelter. Please call us first to make arrangements: 416-338-7297.
Thank you to Hill’s Science Diet, generous sponsor of our adoption program.