Learn about the actions the City is taking to minimize the negative impact of residential infill construction in your neighbourhood.


In order to make a complaint about construction-related issues you will need to determine whether your concern is an emergency or non-emergency.

Nature of Concern Who to Call
Possible danger to someone or a property 911
Dangerous plumbing, fire sprinkler, or sewer condition 911
Dangerous electrical condition Toronto Hydro at 416-542-8000 or 911
Smell Natural Gas Leave the area and call Enbridge Gas at 1-866-763-5427 or 911

Nature of concern

No permits for construction that is in progress or completed

Messy construction sites

Unsafe construction or building conditions

Hazardous materials coming from a demolished building

Concern about vibration resulting from construction

Dust or air quality complaint on a construction project

Who to Call

Contact one of the Toronto Building District Inspection Offices. The inspector will need the address of the property and details of your concern. (Your complaint  about construction-related issues can be made anonymously.)

Toronto and East York District:

North York District:

Etobicoke York District:

Scarborough District:

Blocked streets and sidewalks

Construction messes in streets and lanes

Construction noise

Call 3-1-1

Complainants are encouraged to first speak directly with the service area where they have an issue, in person or by telephone. If you are not satisfied with how your verbal complaint is handled, you may request to speak to the management in the service area. If you are still not satisfied you may submit a written complaint to Toronto Building or communicate your complaint verbally at the Customer Service Complaint office.

Types of Complaints:

  • timeliness of a service (other than regulated timelines)
  • failure to provide a service or action in accordance with policies and procedures
  • error made by staff
  • improper treatment or poor service by staff
  • dissatisfaction with a policy or procedure
  • services available inadequate

Steps to submit a Customer Service complaint

Find out how to submit a complaint or concern about a specific construction project that is being delivered by the City of Toronto.