City Stats in Detail
Protecting your privacy is top priority for the City of Toronto. You are seeing this alert because your web browser needs to be updated to access content on toronto.ca. You will need to download and install a more recent version of your web browser to use our website.
Access detailed data and information on Toronto’s economy, labour force and demographics.
- Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for City. See methodology
- Labour Force Survey – Rebased Data for City
- Labour Force Survey Summary, 1990-2016
- Labour Force Survey Industry Profiles (annual)
- Basic Profiles from Census & NHS by Place of Residence, 2011
- NHS Employment by Place of Work with Location Quotients, 2011
- Employment Establishments by Size and Industry, December 2017
- Household Spending Survey, 2015
- Population Growth by Component
- Toronto Employment Survey
- Toronto Economic Bulletin (monthly)
Small Area Data
2011 Census & NHS
- Active Building Permits available through Open Data
- Application Information Centre
- Building Permit Summary
- Cleared Building Permits available through Open Data
- Current City of Toronto Tax Rates
- Industrial and Commercial Properties for Sale (Signature Sites)
- Industrial Property Tax Per Square Foot in the GTA, 1998-2017
- Non-residential Developments
The City of Toronto releases Census Backgrounders to coincide with each Census release by Statistics Canada. The backgrounders provide a review of the data, focussing on how it relates to the City of Toronto and the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA).
The 2016 Census Day was May 10, 2016
Census Release Schedule
For more information on the 2016 Census Release Schedule, please visit Statistics Canada.
2016 Census Backgrounder reports:
- Education, Labour, Journey to Work, Language of Work and Mobility and Migration (MS Word)
- Housing, Immigration, Ethnicity & Aboriginal Peoples (MS Word)
- Income(MS Word)
- Households, Families and Marital Status and Language (MS Word)
- Age and Sex, Type of Dwelling (MS Word)
- Population & Dwelling Counts (MS Word)
2011 Census Backgrounder reports:
- Income and Shelter Costs
- Labour Force, Education, Place of Work, Commuting and Mobility )
- Immigration, Citizenship, Place of Birth, Ethnicity, Visible Minorities, Religion and Aboriginal Peoples
- Families, Households and Dwellings
- Age & Gender
- Population & Dwelling Counts
Census and the National Household Survey
The information previously collected by the long-form Census questionnaire was collected in 2011 as part of the voluntary National Household Survey. In 2016, Statistics Canada restored the mandatory long-form Census questionnaire in an effort to improve data collection. Readers should be aware that releases from the 2016 Census will reflect the long-form Census and are anticipated to be more comprehensive than those of the 2011 National Household Survey.
Note: All data in the backgrounders are based on geographic boundaries available at time of writing. In the event of any future boundary revisions, some data totals may change.