In addition to being responsible for the stewardship of 7,393 hectares of green space and 1,473 named parks, City of Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation provides a wide range of programs and services for people of all ages and abilities. The Division strives to ensure all Torontonians enjoy active, healthy lifestyles and a high quality of life, supported by leisure and recreation programs, services and facilities, provided in partnership with the community.
Service and program information
Toronto will be known by the world as the "City within a Park" - a rich fabric of parks, open spaces, rivers and streams that will connect our neighbourhoods and join us with our clean, vibrant lakefront.
The world will envy and seek to emulate the healthy, productive and balanced lives that the people of Toronto have achieved. Our parks, forestry and recreation services will signal to the world Toronto's commitment to the best of all possible futures.
The people in the diverse communities of Toronto will have full and equitable access to high calibre, locally responsive recreational programs, efficiently operated facilities and safe, clean and beautiful parks, open spaces, ravines and forests.
Inclusion, respect, diversity, health, environmental stewardship, innovation, openness, excellence.
Parks, Forestry and Recreation is engaged in an extensive range of frontline services that contribute significantly to the quality of life of all Torontonians and the overall health of the city's diverse communities. Program and service highlight include:
- 60, 288 recreation programs for all ages, abilities and interests
- 7.8 million total program visits
- 3,500 community special events
- One track and field centre
- Two ski and snowboard centre
- Three conservatories
- Four stadiums
- Five full-service, 18-hole courses
- 40 City-operated arenas with 48 ice surfaces
- 49 Outdoor Artificial Ice Rinks
- 124 community gardens
- 134 community centres
- Water facilities: 130 indoor and outdoor pools; 110 wading pools; 64 splash pads
- 644 tennis courts
- 839 sports fields
- 854 playgrounds
- 1,473 named parks
- 7,393 hectares of green space
- 1.3 million plants produced for parks, boulevards and facilities
- 500,000 street trees; 2.5 million trees in ravines, parks and forests